Re: Fix comments in instr_time.h and remove an unneeded cast to int64 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Fix comments in instr_time.h and remove an unneeded cast to int64
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> writes:
> On 06/08/2024 11:54, Bertrand Drouvot wrote:
>> Please find attached a tiny patch to correct those and, in passing, remove what
>> I think is an unneeded cast to int64.

> Applied, thanks!

I think this comment change is a dis-improvement.  It's removed the
documentation of the important fact that INSTR_TIME_GET_MICROSEC and
INSTR_TIME_GET_NANOSEC return a different data type from
INSTR_TIME_GET_MILLISEC (ie, integer versus float).  Also, the
expectation is that users of these APIs do not know the actual data
type of instr_time, and instead we tell them what the output of those
macros is.  This patch just blew a hole in that abstraction.