Re: psql: Add setting to make '+' on \d implicit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql: Add setting to make '+' on \d implicit
Date
Re: psql: Add setting to make '+' on \d implicit  (Terry Brown <terry_n_brown@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@rice.edu> writes:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 10:58:40AM -0500, Terry Brown wrote:
>> So the proposal would be:
>>
>> \d+ does as it has always done, no change
>> \d- (new) always behaves like 'old' \d
>> \d  acts as 'old' \d or as \d+, depending on the setting of 'verbose_describe', set via \pset.

> Hmm, what about all the other + variants? Would this setting affect
> them? I'd suggest perhaps it should.

If we were to do something like that, it would certainly have to affect
every \d variant that has a + option.  Which is probably not a very good
idea --- in many cases that's a very expensive/verbose option.  I can't
get excited about this proposal, personally.

What the OP actually seemed to care about was database object comments.
I could see somebody who relied heavily on comments wanting his comments
to be included in all display commands, even without the + option.
Maybe a configuration variable along the lines of 'always_show_comments'
would be a better design.

BTW, \pset seems like the wrong place for this.  That's for formatting
table output, not for controlling what specific \d commands show.