Re: reducing statistics write overhead - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: reducing statistics write overhead
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Martin Pihlak <martin.pihlak@gmail.com> writes:
> As I understand the autovacuum workers need up to date stats to minimize the
> risk of re-vacuuming a table (in case it was already vacuumed by someone else).

I never understood why autovacuum should need a particularly short fuse
on the stats file age to start with.  If the launcher is launching
multiple workers into the same database with only a few milliseconds
between them, isn't the launcher pretty broken anyhow?  ISTM that stats
files even several seconds old ought to be plenty good enough.