Re: [HACKERS] psql problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] psql problem
Date
Re: [HACKERS] psql problem
List pgsql-hackers
>> What?  Are you saying that control-C doesn't do a \r (reset the
>> query buffer)?  That's probably true, and I agree that it should...

> Looks like it works fine:

>     test=> select * from pg_class, pg_proc;
>     ^C
>     Cancel request sent
>     ERROR:  Query was cancelled.
>     test=>

No, I think Chris was complaining about the behavior with an
incomplete query in the buffer.  I can't show it with current
sources since psql is exiting on ^C, but 6.5 works like this:

play=> foobar
play-> ^C
CANCEL request sent                       <-- return typed here to get a prompt
play-> select 2+2;
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "foobar"
play=>

Notice the prompt correctly shows that I still have stuff in the
query buffer after ^C.  I think Chris is saying that ^C should
flush the buffer like \r does ... and I agree.