Re: Matching on keyword or phrases within a field that is delimited with an "or" operator "|" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Ostler
Subject Re: Matching on keyword or phrases within a field that is delimited with an "or" operator "|"
Date
List pgsql-general
David,

Thanks for the tip on the Regular Expression, as well as the advice to use an example statement.

So, I played with the expression you gave me and that works well. The question I now have is if I am trying to select all data for any row where that condition is true, is it possible to index the column I am selecting on to help with this expression? Given the table I am dealing with is over 20 GB, speed is a concern.

For example, If I wanted to select all rows from table_1 where ‘a’ existed in column ‘diagnosis’ and where two potential fields of diagnosis could be ‘a|b|c’ or  ‘d|b|f’  I could use the statement

SELECT  * FROM table_1
Where 'a' = ANY(regexp_split_to_array('diagnosis’, '\|'));

Is there any way to index the column ‘diagnosis’ to speed this up?  I have tried to find information on using a Regular Expression in an index, but that doesn’t seem to work.

One option I am playing with but stuck on is creating a new field with the array created by the Regular Expression. Will this work, or will I have to create a column for each element of the array? If I were to do this could I use a multiple column index? It would then be an index of 20 columns The postgres documentation states it is usually not efficient to have more than 3 columns, so I am not sure if that is a good idea or not. In general what I have read about multicolumn indexes leads me to believe that is not a good idea.

Also, given there is not a standard set of keywords in the column 'diagnosis' I don't think a GIN index would work.

Any ideas on other options I could try?

--Jim