Re: Rationalizing EXPLAIN VERBOSE output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Rationalizing EXPLAIN VERBOSE output
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> ... I am concerned that making explain like
> SELECT means it is on the one piece of debug info you can't get into the
> server logs.  Query dump can already get into the query logs, but not
> EXPLAIN non-verbose.

A week ago you were willing to set things up so that INFO output could
not get into the server logs period.  Why so concerned now?  EXPLAIN
output does not seem like suitable data for logs to me, any more than
the output of SELECT queries does.  It's only a historical artifact
that we are accustomed to thinking of it as being loggable.

> In fact, as Peter explains it, NOTICE \g goes to the terminal because it
> is assumed to be an error.  Maybe we need to make psql smarter and only
> send ERROR/WARNING to terminal, and INFO/NOTICE to the log file.

While I suggested that to start with, it seems like a bad idea on
further thought.  Mixing INFO/NOTICE with query output would be just
like piping stdout and stderr to the same place.  There's usually
good reason to keep them separate.