Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #7873: pg_restore --clean tries to drop tables that don't exist - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #7873: pg_restore --clean tries to drop tables that don't exist
Date
Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #7873: pg_restore --clean tries to drop tables that don't exist  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Dean Rasheed <dean.a.rasheed@gmail.com> writes:
> Actually the IF EXISTS in DROP TABLE now applies to the schema as
> well. Unfortunately there is currently no consistency across the
> various DROP commands --- some tolerate a non-existent schema, while
> others error out.

Yeah.  I think now that we've had this discussion, we should make them
all tolerate a non-existent schema.  I'm fine with having that happen
over a series of patches rather than all at once though.

> Also amongst those that tolerate a non-existent
> schema, the resulting notices are not consistent --- some report the
> schema-qualified object name, while others just report the local
> object name.

Less excited about this part, but on the whole I'd vote for the "schema
"no_such_schema" does not exist" wording in cases where the schema isn't
there.  The other way is less specific for no very good reason.