Re: Why is CF 2011-11 still listed as "In Progress"? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Why is CF 2011-11 still listed as "In Progress"?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On mån, 2012-01-16 at 22:00 -0500, Greg Smith wrote:
> Adjusting that expectation is another side to pragmatism based on
> recent history I think needs to be acknowledged, but is unlikely to be
> improved on.  9.0 shipped on September 20.  9.1 shipped on September
> 11.  If we say the last CF of each release is unlikely to wrap up
> before early March each year, that's 6 months of "settling" time
> between major feature freeze and release.  So far that seems to result
> in stable releases to be proud of, on a predictable enough yearly
> schedule.

Well, has it?  I think, it took until version 9.1.2 to have a release
without major issues that you could consider for production.  So do we
need 8 or 10 months of settling time?  Or should we release earlier,
realizing that we won't get proper testing before the final release
anyway?  I don't know.

Another concern is that we are now essentially freezing 9.2 features
with at best about four weeks of production experience and feedback from
9.1.  I expect that this will also contribute to dragging out the
finalization of 9.2 once more.