Re: patch: bytea_agg - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: patch: bytea_agg
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Pavel Stehule's message of vie dic 23 18:36:11 -0300 2011:
> Hello
>
> 2011/12/23 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:

> > I generally agree with Peter: string_agg makes sense here.  The only
> > real argument against it is Pavel's point that he didn't include a
> > delimiter parameter, but that just begs the question why not.  It
> > seems at least plausible that there would be use-cases for it.
>
> I don't know a real usage for bytea delimiter. Probably there is, but
> I expect so most often use case will be without delimiter.

Well, sometimes bytea is used to store character strings when the
encoding information is to be handled by the app instead of having
Postgres know it, for various reasons.  I haven't seen any of those
cases yet that would use string_add(bytea) but I wouldn't foreclose that
possibility.