Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> (2) If there are multiple columns with the same levenschtien distance,
> which one do you suggest?  The current code picks a random one, which
> I'm OK with.  The other option would be to list all of the columns.

I objected to that upthread.  I don't think that picking a random one is
sane at all.  Listing them all might be OK (I notice that that seems to be
what both bash and git do).

Another issue is whether to print only those having exactly the minimum
observed Levenshtein distance, or to print everything less than some
cutoff.  The former approach seems to me to be placing a great deal of
faith in something that's only a heuristic.