Re: Createdb problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Createdb problems
Date
List pgsql-general
Kenneth McDowell <kmcdowel@netwiz.net> writes:
> I am trying to create a database on a mounted volume.
> I have used initdb and created the cluster fine.
> I have set an environment variable for the PATH, and restarted postgres but
> when I go to use the createdb --location=PATH dbname
> I get the following error

> cp: /volumes/hood/postgres/base/26916: Too many levels of symbolic links
> ERROR:  CREATE DATABASE: could not initialize database directory

Hm.  What exactly is that PATH value, and where is your regular database
area (PGDATA)?  I am suspicious of a circular-symlink kind of problem,
but there's not enough info here to understand what's wrong.

Also, which PG version are you using?

            regards, tom lane