Re: pg_regress.sh startup failure patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_regress.sh startup failure patch
Date
Re: pg_regress.sh startup failure patch  (Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net>)
List pgsql-patches
Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net> writes:
>> Why would it take more than 3 seconds to start the postmaster under
>> Cygwin?  Something awfully fishy about that, unless you're using
>> a 286 ...

> I never had this problem before on my home server machine (PIII 500 MHz)
> with previous PostgreSQL versions.  However, on my work laptop (also
> PIII 500 MHz, but virus software, slow disk, etc.), PostgreSQL CVS just
> needs more time to start up.

Hm.  That deserves investigation, but it seems not high priority
compared to getting a release out.

>> I didn't much care for the arbitrary delay in the first place, and
>> raising it to 10 sec is even less palatable.

> Agreed on both accounts -- I detest open loop solutions myself.
> I was going to suggest the retry strategy, but I wasn't sure that such a
> patch would be accepted at this time.  How should I proceed?

Code up a patch, test it, send in a diff ... I think the only real risk
here is to be careful not to write anything unportable.  I believe that
"until" loops exist even in very old Bourne shells, does anyone think
differently?

            regards, tom lane