Re: pg_regress.sh startup failure patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Jason Tishler
Subject Re: pg_regress.sh startup failure patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom,

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 10:28:05AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net> writes:
> > Unfortunately, pg_regress.sh fails under Cygwin as follows:
> > The attached patch "solves" the problem.
>
> Why would it take more than 3 seconds to start the postmaster under
> Cygwin?  Something awfully fishy about that, unless you're using
> a 286 ...

I never had this problem before on my home server machine (PIII 500 MHz)
with previous PostgreSQL versions.  However, on my work laptop (also
PIII 500 MHz, but virus software, slow disk, etc.), PostgreSQL CVS just
needs more time to start up.

> I didn't much care for the arbitrary delay in the first place, and
> raising it to 10 sec is even less palatable.

Agreed on both accounts -- I detest open loop solutions myself.

> Perhaps
>
>     until psql ...args... </dev/null 2>/dev/null
>     do
>         sleep 1
>     done
>
> although it might also be prudent to refuse to loop more than a couple
> dozen times.

I was going to suggest the retry strategy, but I wasn't sure that such a
patch would be accepted at this time.  How should I proceed?

Thanks,
Jason