Re: Is this safe to perform on PostgreSQL 8.3.7 -> Resize a column in a PostgreSQL table without changing data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Reid Thompson
Subject Re: Is this safe to perform on PostgreSQL 8.3.7 -> Resize a column in a PostgreSQL table without changing data
Date
In response to Re: Is this safe to perform on PostgreSQL 8.3.7 -> Resize a column in a PostgreSQL table without changing data  (Gregg Jaskiewicz <gryzman@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 15:55 +0000, Gregg Jaskiewicz wrote:
> for the future it is better to just use text type, and: check
> length(field) < 35;

thanks to all for the respones.

The above seems a prudent way to go in my future.

My assumption is that converting varchar(n) to text would still force a
re-write of the table?  i.e. currently there's no officially 'safe' way
to convert the field type w/o incurring a table re-write.