using a stored proc that returns a result set in a complex SQL stmt - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From chrisj
Subject using a stored proc that returns a result set in a complex SQL stmt
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

I am trying to decide between using a temporary table or a stored proc that
returns a result set to solve a fairly complex problem, and was wondering if
Postres, when it sees a stored proc reference in a SQL, is smart enough to,
behind the scenes, create a temporary table with the results of the stored
proc such that the stored proc does not get executed multiple times within a
single query execution??

Example: suppose I had a stored proc called SP_bob that returns a result set
including the column store_no
and I wrote the following query:

select * from Order_Line as X
where not exists (select 1 from SP_bob(parm1, parm2) as Y where X.store_no =
Y.store_no)

Can I rest assured that the stored proc would only run once, or could it run
once for each row in Order_Line??

The only reason I am going down this road is because of the difficulty of
using temp tables ( i.e. needing to execute a SQL string).  Does anyone know
if this requirement may be removed in the near future?