encoding and LC_COLLATE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From LPlateAndy
Subject encoding and LC_COLLATE
Date
Re: encoding and LC_COLLATE  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I set up my postgres 9.0 install  6 months ago and generally everything is
fine but a recent data load with an e acute character failed which an
unsupported message which surprised me as we're using UTF-8.

However, i can now see that the listing for the database set up show a
restriction under LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE to the UK which would explain the
blocking of this character. Oddly, this is set even if i only specify UTF-8
which i guess means that it is set against the template. I can only assume
that i selected this option on install but have since forgotten.

CREATE DATABASE testing
  WITH OWNER = postgres
       ENCODING = 'UTF8'
       TABLESPACE = pg_default
       LC_COLLATE = 'English_United Kingdom.1252'
       LC_CTYPE = 'English_United Kingdom.1252'
       CONNECTION LIMIT = -1;

Is there any way that i can change this, preferably against the template.

If i try creating a new database by right clicking at the top of the
database tree in pgAdmin i do note that i also have the options of "C" or
"POSIX" but have read elsewhere that these are even more restrictive.

Any ideas - hoping to avoid a complete re-install!

Thanks in advance

Andy