Re: Slow running to_tsvector (tsearch2 in PG 8.2.3) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Slow running to_tsvector (tsearch2 in PG 8.2.3)
Date
Re: Slow running to_tsvector (tsearch2 in PG 8.2.3)  (cedric <cedric@over-blog.com>)
List pgsql-general
Markus Schiltknecht <markus@bluegap.ch> writes:
> Henrik Zagerholm wrote:
>> Is this normal? What can I tweak in postgresql.conf to speed up big
>> to_tsvector()?

> Hm.. seems not too unreasonable to me.
> Take a look at the stemmers or dictionaries involved. What do you use there?

Also, I wonder how much of the time went into to_tsvector() and how much
into updating the GIST or GIN index that I suppose is on the column.
For a full update like this it might make sense to drop the index,
update the column, rebuild the index from scratch.

            regards, tom lane