Re: Out of file-descriptors message - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Out of file-descriptors message
Date
List pgsql-admin
Geoffrey <esoteric@3times25.net> writes:
> I work with the original poster and wanted to make sure the problem here
> is clear.  The 'out of file descriptors' message is coming from
> Postgresql, not the kernel.  Thus, it doesn't make sense to me that the
> max_files_per_process setting is too high.  I would think we need to
> increase it so that Postgresql will stop generating these errors.

These are not "errors", they are only log messages.  It would be
perfectly safe to ignore them.  However, as Alvaro says, if you want
to get rid of them then the way to do that is to *decrease*
max_files_per_process to something less than whatever per-process file
limit the kernel is enforcing.

            regards, tom lane