Re: gcc 4.6 and hot standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: gcc 4.6 and hot standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alex Hunsaker <badalex@gmail.com> writes:
> So I've been delaying moving some production boxes over to 9.0.4 from
> 2011-06-08 11:41:03 MDT [6078]: [1-1] user= FATAL:  terminating
> walreceiver process due to administrator command
> [ repeats... ]

> I suppose the next step is to narrow it down to a specific flag -O2
> uses... But I thought I would post here first-- maybe someone else has
> hit this? Or maybe someone has a bright idea on how to narrow this
> down?

Maybe using a "prerelease" gcc version isn't such a hot idea for
production.  It's very, very, very difficult to see how the behavior you
describe isn't a compiler bug.  (Well, I could also believe that
something external is repeatedly hitting the walreceiver with a SIGTERM,
but it's hard to square that with the behavior changing when you
recompile with different -O levels ...)

It might be useful to strace the postmaster and walreceiver processes
just to see if any signal is actually being sent or received.