Re: Postgres Account Inherit Question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Postgres Account Inherit Question
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2011-10-14 at 13:43 -0400, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> > Did you check for a .pgpass file ?
>
> I'm assuming you're talking about a hidden file in my Linux shell for
> the 'postgres' user. I don't see one anywhere. I just had a
> .psql_history file which I removed.
>
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> >> Did you check for a .pgpass file ?
> >
> > And do you have any other lines before the few ones you give ?
>
> Yes. It reads the config file as follows:
>

> # Database administrative login by UNIX sockets
> local   all         postgres                          ident
>
> # TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD
>
> # "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
> local   all         all                               md5
> # IPv4 local connections:
> host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
> host    all         all         10.1.10.0/24          md5
> host    all         all         10.1.11.0/24          md5
> host    all         all         192.168.0.0/24        md5
> # IPv6 local connections:
> host    all         all         ::1/128               md5

So you have the ident authentication method when the user postgres tries
to connect to any database, through socket. And the ident method relies
on your OS connection, so you don't need any more password than the Unix
one.

All the other users will have the md5 authentication method, which
requires to enter a password, either manually or automatically.

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info