Re: BUG #6246: character encoding for 64 bit - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From bushcraftrelf
Subject Re: BUG #6246: character encoding for 64 bit
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Kevin Grittner wrote:

> WIN1512 supports characters which are not supported by LATIN1.  If
> you sent such characters to the database, what would you expect to
> happen?
>
> -Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I forgot to mention a few things. One is that the problem only arises in
postgres 9.1 - I can create exactly the same databases and tables in 9.0 and
have no problems accessing them using psql 9.0.
Also, I set the client_encoding to "LATIN1" and so there should have been no
problem with a mismatch in encoding.

I have subsequently found that if I use psql 9.0 on the postgresql 9.1
server, then I can access the table as normal.

The main difference I have found (if it's any use) is that when I first open
psql 9.0, the \encoding is always set at UTF8 until I change it (which
postgres can convert to LATIN1). When I first open psql 9.1, the \encoding
is set at WIN1252 before I change it. WIN1252 cannot be converted to LATIN1.

For now, I have reverted to using Postgres 9.0, as I have no problems with
that version.