Re: PATCH: Add hstore_to_json() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PATCH: Add hstore_to_json()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Whose requirement is it?  I'm not ignoring it, but so far no one has
>> actually said that it is a requirement and why.

> Mine for one :-).

I think there are a couple of interacting factors here.  We are not
likely to want to go far out of our way to support JSON operations
that aren't implemented by the library we pick (which I think is
Peter's underlying point) but at the same time the set of supported
operations ought to be a factor in which library we pick (which I
think is Andrew's point).  So it would be a good idea to try to make
a list of desirable operations before we go looking at individual
libraries.  Whether any particular missing features are showstoppers
for the use of a given library is something that we can't reasonably
determine if we don't have a pre-existing notion of what features
we want.

Note that it's perfectly reasonable to change our list of desired
features based on what we find out about what's actually available ---
but we need something to start out with.