Re: createuser/dropuser username - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: createuser/dropuser username
Date
List pgsql-docs
On fre, 2011-09-09 at 19:48 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> !         Specifies the default tablespace for the database. (This name
> !         is processed as a double-quoted identifier.)

I don't find this wording particularly useful.  What does it mean?  The
imaginary double quotes are stripped off?

The advantage of using the shell tools is that you are not affected by
the oddities of SQL syntax, so don't introduce references to SQL syntax
where it doesn't need to be.  Just say, the names are used as is.  Or
just say nothing, because nothing happens.

> !         Specifies the name of the procedural language to be
> !         installed.  (This name is lower-cased.)

Maybe an explanation why would be in order here.

> +    <para>
> +     When specified on the command line, user and databases names have
> +     their case preserved — the presence of spaces or special
> +     characters might require quoting.  Table names and other identifiers
> +     do not have their case preserved, except where documented, and
> +     might require quoting.
> +    </para>

What kind of quoting might be required?