Re: Getting error while upgrading postgres from version 12 to 13 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Getting error while upgrading postgres from version 12 to 13
Date
List pgsql-general
On 3/21/23 03:29, shashidhar Reddy wrote:
> Actually I was using the below command to check the compatibility, it
> worked without any issue with 12.6 but it is not working with 1version 2.14
> time /usr/lib/postgresql/13/bin/pg_upgrade --old-bindir
> /usr/lib/postgresql/12/bin --new-bindir /usr/lib/postgresql/13/bin
> --old-datadir /usr/pgdata/pg_data --new-datadir /usr/pgdata/pg_data2
> --link --check
>
> I have used a different directory for postgres13 from postgres 12.

The issue is not that they are the same directory it is:

FATAL:  database files are incompatible with server
  DETAIL:  The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 13
, which is not compatible with this version 12.14 (Ubuntu
12.14-1.pgdg18.04+1)

Check the value that is the PG_VERSION file in each data directory. It
should be 12 in /usr/pgdata/pg_data  and 13 in /usr/pgdata/pg_data2.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com