Re: Issue while non-english character in userid and password - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Issue while non-english character in userid and password
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Jadhav, Manadeep (BHGE)" <Manadeep.Jadhav@bhge.com> writes:
> We are using postgres server install on windows 7 32 bit machine in Spanish and for database username and password we
haveused non-English character í, with this userid and password we are able to connect the database but when we try to
runthe backup for same db using pg_dump utility it fails saying error as "password authentication failed". Please let
usknow how can we handle this issue.

If you use characters outside the base ASCII set in user or database names
or passwords, it's up to you to ensure that those characters are always
sent the same way in connection requests.  Postgres can't do any encoding
conversion on connection requests since it doesn't know what character set
the client is using.  Presumably what's happening here is that the backup
script isn't running with the same code page you used when creating the
password.

            regards, tom lane