Re: OS X shared memory documentation - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: OS X shared memory documentation
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:
> +        In OS X 10.3 and later, you can simply place the settings into
> +        <filename>/etc/sysctl.conf</>, with one caveat: all five of these
> +        parameters are linked together, so you must specify all five in
> +        <filename>/etc/sysctl.conf</>.  If you do not specify all five the
> +        defaults that are hard-coded into <filename>/etc/rc</> will be used
> +        instead.  In all versions, you'll need to reboot to make

It'd be nice if it were as simple as that, but my experiments say that
it isn't.

The conclusion I had come to (which is in our docs now) is that the real
gotcha in the mix is that 10.4 ignores SHMMAX settings that aren't an
exact multiple of the page size.

            regards, tom lane