Re: [FEATURE] Add schema option to all relevant objects - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: [FEATURE] Add schema option to all relevant objects
Date
Re: [FEATURE] Add schema option to all relevant objects  (Thom Brown <thom@linux.com>)
Re: [FEATURE] Add schema option to all relevant objects  (Thom Brown <thom@linux.com>)
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi Thom,

On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 20:23 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
> [...]
> I noticed that objects which can be moved to different schemas can't
> be moved in PgAdmin, so I looked to see if there was any request to
> have this implemented, and found this ticket:
> http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/ticket/5

Exactly. I did a complete patch once, but my main issue, that I couldn't
fix, was the refresh of the schemas in the browser.

> So I have now implemented this.  A schema drop-down box will appear in
> the properties dialogue for each relevant object beneath the owner
> drop-down.

Did you fix the issue with the refresh of the browser? (I can't check
yet, I'm doing a last time compile of Jasmin's patch :) )

>   I noticed that the Extensions properties dialogue already
> had one in it (and I've changed how it works),

Oops, that was probably a bad move. Extensions don't have schemas by
themselves. Their objects have one, but not the extension in itself.
(Once again, I may be wrong as I didn't read your patch yet)

>  but left it where it
> was.  In order to implement these changes, I had to also fix quite a
> few bugs, and while I was at it, implemented a few additional changes.
>  They are as follows:
>
> - Prevent functions having a complete rewrite when changing owner
> - Add the ability to specify an owner for operators at creation time
> - Fix invalid syntax on text search configuration, parser and template
> when modifying the name
> - Fix unescaped name when modifying text search configuration, parser
> and template name
> - Disabled the owner field on text search dictionaries as it cannot be modified
> - Allow renaming types for versions 8.4 and higher

You're gonna hate me, but can you extract the fixes, one by one, from
the actual new feature? even if we won't apply all of them to 1.14, I
don't want to mix them with the real new feature (at least for
pgAdmin :) ).

> I also refactored some code, including re-basing the extensions class
> on the pgSchema class rather than pgDatabase

Bad move once again. An extension doesn't have a schema.

> , replace explicit SET
> OWNER clauses with common function

Can you explain that one?

>  and tore out a few things from the
> text search classes which were just causing problems rather than
> helping.

More explanations please?

> Anyway, patch attached.  I've tested every object's creation and
> modification in various combinations on PostgreSQL 8.4 and 9.0, but if
> this patch is a viable candidate for committing then will need testing
> on earlier versions too.  Plus some code review since I'm a n00b.
> Also look at how I'm selecting the list of schemas in case there
> should be any additional ones which should be filtered out.

Will look into it.

> Cheers!

Thanks a lot for your work. This patch was something I was waiting for.

BTW, are you going to char(11)?

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info