Re: How to create "auto-increment" field WITHOUT a sequence object? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vincent Veyron
Subject Re: How to create "auto-increment" field WITHOUT a sequence object?
Date
List pgsql-general
Le vendredi 01 juillet 2011 à 12:28 +0400, Dmitriy Igrishin a écrit :

> Then I don't clearly understand the existence of locks (the LOCK
> command, SELECT FOR UPDATE clause and so on) if the usage
> of them gives only problems...

Chris already explained why twice :

"you MUST lock on insert to get gapless sequences"

Can't you just :
-create the records with a regular sequence, that will have gaps
-when you want to export, number an additional column from 1 to 10 000
and use that as key
?
--
Vincent Veyron