Re: Boolean operators without commutators vs. ALL/ANY - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Boolean operators without commutators vs. ALL/ANY
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Florian Pflug's message of lun jun 20 06:55:42 -0400 2011:

> The latter (i.e. regexp literals enclosed by /../) probably isn't
> desirably for postgres, but the former definitely is (i.e. distinguishing
> regexp's and text in the type system). Please see the thread
> "Adding a distinct pattern type to resolve the ~ commutator stalemate"
> for the details of the proposal.

'your text' ~ regexp 'your.*foo'    column ~ regexp 'your.*foo'

So you could do

regexp 'foo.*bar' ~ 'your text'

and it's immediately clear what's up.

The question is what to do wrt implicit casting of text to regexp.
If we don't, there's a backwards compatibility hit.