Can't drop temp table in subfunction during cursor loop (being used by active queries) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From jonathansfl
Subject Can't drop temp table in subfunction during cursor loop (being used by active queries)
Date
List pgsql-general
Using PG 8.4.2 with Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS.

Inside a cursor of FUNCTION-A, I call another function (FUNCTION-B).
Function-B has a "Drop ,Table" command followed by a CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE
command.

The cursor loops but when it runs out, it breaks, giving error: "Cannot DROP
TABLE "tt_cms_alerts47" because it is being used by active queries in this
session"

I tried eliminating the DROP TABLE command since I thought the CREATE TABLE
would be skipped if the table already exists, but then it gives error:
"relation "tt_cms_alerts47" already exists".

I thought the temporary table would be dropped at the end of each separate
PERFORM function. I even added the DROP TABLE command again to the bottom of
FUNCTION-B but that didn't affect anything.

I also tried adding a COMMIT; after the PERFORM line of FUNCTION-A but that
broke everything.

[Code]
-- FUNCTION-A loop
      OPEN InactivationCursor;
      FETCH InactivationCursor INTO v_CompanyIDvar,v_ReasonInactivevar;
      WHILE FOUND LOOP
          BEGIN
         --SELECT * INTO SWV_RCur,SWV_RCur2,SWV_RCur3,SWV_RCur4 FROM
pr_tbl_Persons_AutoActivate(null,v_CompanyIDvar,null,null,v_ReasonInactivevar,2,v_UserIDvar);
         PERFORM
pr_tbl_Persons_AutoActivate(null,v_CompanyIDvar,null,null,v_ReasonInactivevar,2,v_UserIDvar);
         END;
         FETCH InactivationCursor INTO v_CompanyIDvar,v_ReasonInactivevar;
      END LOOP;
      CLOSE InactivationCursor;
[/Code]

[Code]
-- FUNCTION-B temporary table code
   BEGIN
      CREATE TEMP SEQUENCE tt_CMS_ALERTS_seq INCREMENT BY 1 START WITH 1;
      EXCEPTION WHEN OTHERS THEN NULL;
   END;
   DROP TABLE IF EXISTS tt_CMS_ALERTS47 CASCADE;
   BEGIN
      CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE tt_CMS_ALERTS47
      (  AlertID INTEGER DEFAULT NEXTVAL('tt_CMS_ALERTS_seq') NOT NULL,
         CMS_ALERT_MESSAGE VARCHAR(350) NOT NULL,
         ALERT_LEVEL VARCHAR(10) NOT NULL
      ) WITH OIDS;
      exception when others THEN TRUNCATE TABLE tt_CMS_ALERTS47;
   END;
[/Code]