Re: DOMAINs and CASTs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: DOMAINs and CASTs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On tis, 2011-05-17 at 14:11 -0500, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The more controversial question is what to do if someone tries to
> > create such a cast anyway.  We could just ignore that as we do now, or
> > we could throw a NOTICE, WARNING, or ERROR.
>
> IMHO, not being an error per se but an implementation limitation i
> would prefer to send a WARNING

Implementation limitations are normally reported as errors.  I don't see
why it should be different here.

It's debatable whether it's an implementation restriction anyway.  If
you want to create casts from or to a domain, maybe distinct types or
type aliases or something like that would be a more appropriate feature
in the long run.