Re: Pre-alloc ListCell's optimization - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Pre-alloc ListCell's optimization
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Stephen Frost's message of mar may 24 22:56:21 -0400 2011:
> Greetings,
>
>   Someone (*cough*Haas*cough) made a claim over beers at PGCon that it
>   would be very difficult to come up with a way to pre-allocate List
>   entries and maintain the current List API.  I'll admit that it wasn't
>   quite as trivial as I had *hoped*, but attached is a proof-of-concept
>   patch which does it.

I think what this patch is mainly missing is a description of how the
new allocation is supposed to work, so that we can discuss the details
without having to reverse-engineer them from the code.