How to store and load images in PostgreSQL db? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From MarkB
Subject How to store and load images in PostgreSQL db?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I recently started using PostgresDAC 9.0 and had no trouble getting things
to work until I started to try to find out if it is possible to store (and
load) images in the Postgresql db from Delphi 7. I read about it and in my
opinion it is the best option to use a Bytea field.
Now I am struggling to find out how to save and load data to this field from
Delphi.
My test code is fairly simple:

  PSQLTable1.Insert;
  BlobField := TBlobField(PSQLTable1.FieldByName('Picture_Bytea'));
  BlobField.LoadFromFile('picture.bmp');
  PSQLTable1.Post;

(PSQLTable1 is on the form.)
This works fine until the Post procedure is called. A db error near "\"
appears.

Instead of using a table I would rather use a Query, but I can't get to work
that at all.

  Query := TPSQLQuery.Create(nil);
  Query.DataBase := Db;
  BlobField := TBlobField.Create(nil);
  try
    BlobField.LoadFromFile('picture.bmp');
    Query.SQL.Text := Format ('insert into "tblImage" ("Picture_Bytea")
values (%s)', [QuotedStr(BlobField.Value)]);
    Query.Open;
  finally
    Query.Free;
    BlobField.Free;
  end;

Apparantly it is not allowed to create a TBlobField this way and I don't
think it's a good idea to format a bytea-field as a string (%s) either.

Sorry for my newbie question. I hope someone will be able to point me in the
right direction to get this working as I have been searching all over the
internet, but have not been able to find a solution. Even finding a correct
forum to post this question is difficult as there does not seem to be a
PostgreSQL forum for Delphi users.

Thanks in advance!