Re: Converting MySQL tinyint to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Converting MySQL tinyint to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Personally I would settle for a fuller set of small fixed size datatypes. The
> "char" datatype is pretty much exactly what's needed except that it provides
> such a quirky interface.

I'm not actually against inventing an int1/tinyint type.  I used to be
worried that it would screw up the numeric datatype promotion hierarchy
even more than it already was screwed up :-( ... but I think we have
dealt with most of those issues now.  It'd be worth trying anyway ---
much more so than trying to optimize char(1), IMHO.

            regards, tom lane