Re: proposal: enhanced get diagnostics statement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: proposal: enhanced get diagnostics statement
Date
Re: proposal: enhanced get diagnostics statement  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Pavel Stehule's message of sáb may 21 16:05:01 -0400 2011:

> A implementation of ERROR_CONTEXT is not without impact on
> performance, because context should be collected when exception is
> caught. One solution is removing a ERROR_CONTEXT from proposal. Second
> solution can be a design of enhanced syntax for exception trap like
> (it means - collect CONTEXT when exception is handled)

I don't understand why we should worry about this.  I mean, if you don't
catch the error, you have to form errcontext anyway.  Why is it a
problem to generate it when the exception is caught?