Re: Prefered Types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Prefered Types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of dom may 08 23:00:27 -0400 2011:

> For
> example, if you start noticing an occasional integer overflow that
> didn't happen before, it might be pretty darn difficult to figure out
> that the problem is that an operation that was formerly resolved as int4
> + int4 is now resolved as int2 + int2.

About this particular example, I mentioned earlier that I preliminarly
consider the idea of changing the +(int2,int2) operator to return int4
instead of the current int2.  It's not impossible that we will miss
changing some operators, but my hope is that it won't be that horrible.