Re: Moving a database AND changing the superuser - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Moving a database AND changing the superuser
Date
List pgsql-admin
Rich Cullingford <rculling@sysd.com> writes:
> I did a pg_dumpall in preparation for moving one of our databases from
> PG7.3 to PG7.4, but I just realized I have another problem: that DB
> (which has served us faithfully for some time) was created for superuser
> 'postgres,' whilst our new DBs use a superuser name that's aligned with
> our product.

If you used 7.4 pg_dump, I believe that the dump script does not assume
any particular superuser name (it says RESET SESSION AUTHENTICATION
when it wants to get back into superuser state, so as long as you start
it as a superuser, you're golden).

IIRC, 7.3 pg_dump had an option to specify the superuser name to use.

            regards, tom lane