Re: A bad behavior under autocommit off mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: A bad behavior under autocommit off mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Well, the jdbc guys like SET, and I haven't seen any proposal that
> explains how applications would control a client-based autocommit API
> from the client.

libpq is the only client library that doesn't already *have* an API spec
for this.  SET is not helpful for any of the rest because it is not the
spec they need to meet.

> Very true.  The only other environment variable I have heard about was
> client encoding.  As I remember right now, we do have a problem with SET
> changing the client encoding, and the client not realizing that.

Hm.  Is anyone else very concerned about that?  The design roadmap I put
forward last week suggested reporting client encoding and autocommit
status during the initial connection handshake, but not after every
query.  Neither of those seem like things that are sensible to change
on-the-fly during a session.