Re: MERGE Specification - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: MERGE Specification
Date
Re: MERGE Specification  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
Re: MERGE Specification  (Petr Jelinek <pjmodos@pjmodos.net>)
Re: MERGE Specification  (Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> Perhaps a better option would be to implement Merge per spec, and then
> implement a "replace into" command for the oltp scenario.  This way you keep
> the spec behavior for the spec syntax, and have a clearly non-spec command
> for non-spec behavior.

In that case, it's a fair question to ask just who will use the "spec"
syntax.  As far as I can tell from years of watching the mailing lists,
there is plenty of demand for a concurrent-safe insert-or-update
behavior, and *exactly zero* demand for the other.  I challenge you to
find even one request for the "spec" behavior in the mailing list
archives.  (Simon doesn't count.)

I recently came across the expression "YAGNI", and think it's probably
pretty relevant to this discussion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Ain't_Gonna_Need_It