Re: maybe a bug in plpgsql, nulls and empty strings are not the same - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: maybe a bug in plpgsql, nulls and empty strings are not the same
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Domingo Alvarez Duarte <domingo@dad-it.com> writes:
> When trying write a function in plpgsql I'm getting behavior that
> probably isn't the corect one.

It works as expected if you declare v_sep as varchar rather than char.

I think plpgsql may be interpretingv_sep           char;
as declaring v_sep to be the internal 1-byte "char" type, not char(n)
with unspecified length as you are expecting.  There's definitely
something strange going on with the assignmentv_sep := '''';

In any case it's a tad bizarre to use char rather than varchar for
something that you intend to have varying width, no?