Re: constraint partition issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From hyelluas
Subject Re: constraint partition issue
Date
List pgsql-general
sorry, my table has many columns and missed the datex when make it look
smaller.

datex is the column in the table. This is the driving constraint.
My task is to have 30 days of data with 5mln to 10 mln rec in 1 hour table,
so I partition it by hour table and combine them into days, which are
combined into month total table. My query will have " where datex between a
and b" , for 2-5 days ,across the "day" boundaries , so that partition
exclusion is so much important.
I don't undertsand why the optimizer goes to the children when it hits the
constraint on the parent that shows the date range on that parent ?

thank you.
Helen