Re: Alternative to serial primary key - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From David Clarke
Subject Re: Alternative to serial primary key
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 7/6/06, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca> wrote:
> That sort of undermines the value of the calculated primary key,
> though, doesn't it?  He'd need the unique index for FK references,
> which was the point, I thought.

Yes, that occurred to me as well. Frankly I believe the md5 collision
generation is more of a practical issue for crypto where for my
purposes the potential for two residential street addresses to
generate the same md5 hash value is effectively zero. And the md5
function is a builtin which I would hope is faster than anything I
could write in pgsql. Could be wrong, I have been before.