Re: Alternative to serial primary key - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From David Clarke
Subject Re: Alternative to serial primary key
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 7/6/06, Markus Schaber <schabi@logix-tt.com> wrote:
> This is a good idea if you want to have taller indices, but you still
> need to re-check the "real" key due to hash collisions.

I am aware there are collisions with md5 but without any actual proof
I believe the risk to be very low with the data I'm storing which is a
kind of scrubbed free form residential address.

> If you've plenty of time to spend, you could also bring the hash index
> type back to life, which is currently deprecated according to the
> PostgreSQL docs...

Unfortunately with the meagre time I have available, the only dent I'm
likely to make is in the wall with my head.