Re: Loading table with indexed jsonb field is stalling - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Will Hartung
Subject Re: Loading table with indexed jsonb field is stalling
Date
List pgsql-general
> On May 20, 2019, at 2:36 PM, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you answered this earlier, but does the same stalling happen when indexes are dropped?

No, the data loads fine.

The way I originally stumbled upon this was that I had off loaded the data for some other kinds of testing.

There are several indexes in production, but for my local testing, I only had one on the pk.

Then, one day, I wanted to look for something, and decided I’ll build the json index “real quick”.

Being me, it wasn’t until a few days later I’m like “why is my machine busy, what’s that grinding sound” (I rarely hear
mydrive, most work is done on SSD).

Then I realized that the index was still being built, several days later.

“Huh”

And I left it again.

I was, again, not really paying attention, and didn’t realize until 2 weeks after I had started that it was STILL
running.

At that point I killed it.

Then I decided to break the file up and load it in chunks, see “how far” it was getting, etc. It did not take long for
itto get stuck.

I tried it on different versions of PG, now on different OS’s (albeit one is in a VM). It wasn’t a crisis, just a
curiosity.

But we had a scary event couple of weeks ago that may have forced us to reload the table, but, thankfully, didn’t and
werecovered. But got me to thinking about poking at it again.

A colleague is trying to pg_restore our production DB for a conversion test to AWS Aurora, and it’s been stuck for 43
hourson 68M row loaded table. So, it’s systemic with our data, and I believe that we can not reload this table
currently.Which is scary.

And here we are.