Re: WAL segments pile up during standalone mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: WAL segments pile up during standalone mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Fujii Masao's message of mié mar 02 22:44:45 -0300 2011:
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 3:22 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> > I noticed that in standalone mode, WAL segments don't seem to be
> > recycled.  This could get problematic if you're forced to vacuum large
> > tables in that mode and space for WAL is short.
>
> Checkpoint is required to recycle old WAL segments. Can checkpoint
> be executed in standalone mode? even during VACUUM FULL?

Hmm, I guess it would violate POLA that the standalone server would
decide to run checkpoint in the middle of vacuum.  I imagine that in
some cases the only option would be to process the tables manually, with
the ALTER TABLE/SET TYPE trick or similar (VACUUM FULL in 9.0+).

So I can see that there is no good fix for this problem, yet it is a
very inconvenient situation to be in.