Re: Function trunc() behaves in unexpected manner with different data types - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Function trunc() behaves in unexpected manner with different data types
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Excerpts from Merlin Moncure's message of vie feb 25 12:28:25 -0300 2011:

> no I wouldn't, and the pg_dump extra_float_digits setting addresses my
> primary concern.  The client has a similar issue though -- suppose it
> fetches a value from the server and updates it back -- which record
> gets the update?  You would get different results if the client was
> using binary or text features of the protocol.  Not saying this is
> wrong or needs to be fixed, just pointing it out :-).
>
> update foo set val=val + 1 where val = 2183.68;

I think the mere idea of using floating point equality on a
WHERE clause is bogus, regardless of text or binary format.