Does the SQL standard actually define LATERAL anywhere? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Does the SQL standard actually define LATERAL anywhere?
Date
Re: Does the SQL standard actually define LATERAL anywhere?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
As implemented in HEAD, LATERAL means to run a nestloop in which the
lateral-referencing query is run once per row of the referenced table,
and the resulting rows are joined to just that row of the referenced
table.  So for example:

# select * from (values (2),(4)) v(x), lateral generate_series(1,x);x | generate_series
---+-----------------2 |               12 |               24 |               14 |               24 |               34 |
             4

(6 rows)

It suddenly struck me though that there's another plausible
interpretation of this syntax: perhaps we should generate all the rows
of the referencing query as above, and then join them to *all* rows of
the rest of the query.  That is, should the above query generate
x | generate_series
---+-----------------2 |               12 |               12 |               22 |               22 |               32 |
             44 |               14 |               14 |               24 |               24 |               34 |
      4

(12 rows)

This behavior doesn't seem as useful to me --- I think you'd nearly
always end up adding additional WHERE clauses to get rid of the extra
rows.  However, there should not be any judgment calls involved here;
this is a spec-defined syntax so surely the SQL standard ought to tell
us what to do.  But I'm darned if I see anything in the standard that
defines the actual *behavior* of a LATERAL query.

Please point out chapter and verse of what I'm missing.  Or, perhaps
we can hold some committee members' feet to the fire for a ruling?