Re: pg_dumpall 8.1.4 large objects error - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dumpall 8.1.4 large objects error
Date
List pgsql-admin
Jeff Frost <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com> writes:
>> On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I'd try a REINDEX of pg_largeobject to see if that fixes it.

> Got the REINDEX completed and found a new error that I haven't seen before:

> pg_dump: SQL command failed
> pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR:  Memory exhausted in AllocSetAlloc(96)

Hm, I'm not sure why it did that.  Possibly an ANALYZE on pg_largeobject
would change the plan for the SELECT DISTINCT and get you out of
trouble.

> Would it be better and more efficient to just pg_dumpall the globals and
> pg_dump in custom format the vsl_cs db?

Won't help AFAIK --- that query will be used for blob dumping in all
cases.  Or actually, according to the cursor name, this is the query
for dumping blob comments.

> Server is 7.3.2, and the plan is to upgrade it.

Might be worth your while to update the server to 7.3.latest in-place.
The list of bugs fixed in 7.3.x is very long; I'm too lazy to look and
see if any of them look related to this, but it's possible.

Also, if you don't mind altering pg_dump, it looks to me like the query
being used here is unnecessarily inefficient:

    /* Cursor to get all BLOB comments */
    if (AH->remoteVersion >= 70200)
        blobQry = "DECLARE blobcmt CURSOR FOR SELECT DISTINCT loid, obj_description(loid, 'pg_largeobject') FROM
pg_largeobject";

This is computing obj_description() redundantly for each pg_largeobject
chunk.  Perhaps there is a memory leak in obj_description() in 7.3.2?
If so it'd help to use

DECLARE blobcmt CURSOR FOR
  SELECT loid, obj_description(loid,'pg_largeobject')
  FROM (SELECT DISTINCT loid FROM pg_largeobject) ss;

(Think I'll go change this in CVS, too, as it's obviously tremendously
inefficient if you've got big large objects...)

            regards, tom lane