Re: WIP: RangeTypes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: WIP: RangeTypes
Date
Re: WIP: RangeTypes  ("David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 09:17 -0800, David Fetter wrote:
> For consistency, and in order not to continue our atrocious naming
> tradition, I'd like to propose that the above be named timestamprange
> (tsrange for short) and timestamptzrange (tstzrange for short).

No real objection, but I'd like to see if someone else will second it.

Also, I don't think aliases are very easy to define. They appear to all
be special cases in the backend code, without catalog support. Should I
use domains? If not, I think we'll have to stick to one name.

> >     - INTRANGE (int4)
>
> int4range/intrange and the missing bigintrange/int8range

I thought about adding int8range, and the first time around that's what
I tried. But then I realized that the literal "4" is interpreted as an
int4, meaning that "range(1,10)" would be interpreted as int4range, so
int8range was slightly annoying to use because you have to cast the
literals.

Also, the storage is not particularly efficient right now anyway, so if
you need int8range, you could probably use numrange instead.

I don't mind either way. If you think someone will use it, I'll add it.

> Should there also be a timerange and a timetzrange?

I thought about it, and I realized that I've never seen the "time" type
used. Again, I'll add it if someone will use it.

Keep in mind that it's fairly easy for people to add their own range
types. The most difficult part is defining the "canonical" function if
it is applicable, and the "subtype_float" function which is necessary
for GiST.

Regards,Jeff Davis