Re: Orphaned statements issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Orphaned statements issue
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Josh Berkus's message of jue ene 20 18:05:15 -0300 2011:

> One of our clients is seeing an unusual issue with statements which are
> waiting going into sleep forever and never completing.   This first
> e-mail is for a "has anyone else seen this problem before?" while we try
> to collect additional information for a diagnosis.

I have seen it -- on 8.1 too.  On our case it was caused by an insert
that was doing lots of toast insertions, so it needed to grab the
extension lock frequently for the toast table; and this was slowed
down by a largish shared_buffers setting, somehow (8.1 doesn't have lock
partitioning, so this was expensive).  I don't recall details on why
these were related.  If this is your case too, I doubt you'd be able to
reproduce it in 9.0 (not even in 8.2 which is when lock partitioning was
introduced).